Leverage the experience of our local and global biomimicry network for your projects or design challenges
Our combined experience includes applications of biomimicry thinking, expertise and technologies to a variety of different fields:
Transformative innovation, Open Innovation, Biomimicry Thinking, Sustainable Design, Regenerative Design, Resilience, Systems Thinking
Integrated urban design and planning, ecological communities, Genius of Place, ecological performance standards, living (>green) buildings, resilience planning, urban accessibility and mobility planning, sustainable development, Conservation Planning, Rehabilitation & Restoration.
Circular Economy, The Blue Economy, Distributed Economies.
WATER & Water Treatment:
Innovative Wastewater treatment
Innovative water treatment, Ecomachines (with Todd Ecological Design), river restoration, informal settlement water treatment (community owned and managed innovative water treatment), distributed water capture and distributed wastewater treatment, wastewater recycling, innovative constructed wetlands, flow management, mixing, etc.
Nature's recipes and structures for 3D printing
Distributed smart grids, renewable energy based on nature's billion years of R&D, dye-sensitised solar cells, distributed economies
Waste & Pollution:
Rehabilitation and restoration, Upcycling, clean technologies, Green Chemistry, Nature's Chemistry.
3D Printing (with nature's recipes/structures), Additive Manufacturing, Nanotechnology (nature's nanotech), Smart Grids, The Internet of Things, Smart Materials, Neurotech, Biorobitics.
Cooperation and collaboration, organisational design and management, self-organisation, emergence, collective decision-making, social innovation.
Regenerative agriculture, organic and biodynamic agriculture, permaculture, etc.
Are you looking for strategic opportunities for bringing biomimicry into your organisation/project or your products/processes/systems?
We can explore opportunities with you and provide strategic direction. We provide the combination of a think tank and a network of organisations and individuals that can explore biomimicry opportunities and take them all the way through to implementation .
- How can nature's strategies inspire innovation and/or real sustainability for your project/organisation?
- How can your project(s)/organisation be guided by the wisdom of millions of years of evolution?
- What opportunities are their beyond sustainability for regenerative development?
- How can your project/organisation integrate nature's principles for resilience, innovation and sustainability?
- How can you leverage our innovation processes with multifunctional benefits?
- What else is possible?
Contact us if you are interested in strategy or any of the following processes?
We can help you scope where to focus your biomimicry initiatives. Our Biomimicry Thinking processes can also help you frame your key challenges in a way that can leverage nature's genius for finding solutions. We can work with your team to provide a customised scoping review of biomimetic products and processes relevant to your project, organisation or industry.
How does nature do that? We can undertake detailed biomimicry research for you - relating to your specific areas of interest. We have a network of local and international biologists, ecologists, biomimics, and more that can help frame and undertake your research requirements. How does nature store energy? How does nature move fluids? How does nature regulate temperature, etc.
A biomimicry brainstorm session couples nature's innovation principles with design thinking and systems thinking to yield a range of innovative ideas for addressing your key challenges - design or otherwise. We can work with your team to identify the best options to take forward into design phase.
We can take you through a process to evaluate your designs or products/processes/systems/organisation against biomimicry Life's Principles. This powerful tool can then be a springboard for scoping, discovering or creating alternatives.
When we say open innovation, we mean it in two ways:
- Opening up your solution space to include millions of species and millions of years of R&D from the big wide open (i.e. nature). You will expand your innovation potential - not only identifying specific strategies, but nature's process of innovation itself. 3.8 billion years of R&D doesn't only provide innovative solutions but an innovation learning curve that's hard to beat. Whatever your company's design challenge, the odds are high that one or more of the world's 30 million creatures has not only faced the same challenge, but has evolved effective strategies to solve it. What's more, it's most likely to be truly sustainable. Don't just think outside the box - #thinkoutside
- Combining our biomimicry thinking and practice with open innovation initiatives for multifunctional benefits. We work with your team using the biomimicry processes to open up innovation potential. We also like to involve students as far as possible in your innovation challenges. So, we reach more students and they learn by doing. You gain input from young inspired minds, you contribute to their training and learning curve, they contribute to solutions to your design challenge.
We help innovation leaders solve human problems with the brilliance of nature’s design. We leverage an ecosystem of biomimics, engineers, biologists, architects, designers, students and more. We work with innovation, sustainability and design teams to identify the relevant biological intelligence and translate nature’s proven processes and structures to inspire new solutions for your team’s challenges. Our flexible Biomimicry Thinking methodology is mapped to your team’s creative process and, together, we apply the templates of nature’s wisdom to create innovative solutions.
leveraging students for OPEN INNOVATION
One of the highest leverage points we have in terms of our training - is reaching students. If we can integrate biomimicry into their learning pathway - they are in the best position (as future designers of our world) to bring this vitally important discipline into their field of work. We hope to inspire and enable them to create conditions conducive to life. The best way for students to gain biomimicry skills is to learn by doing. We think working on real world challenges is most important. So we do some brilliant match-making. Your bring us your design challenges and innovation/sustainability priorities - we take your team and/or the students through a training and scoping process that is a powerful open innovation process. It's quite simple really. But really effective. View the video below of a Student Design Challenge we managed for Festo Bionics.