INTRODUCTORY BIOMIMICRY COURSE FOR FIELD GUIDES, SKUKUZA, KNP, 13 OCTOBER 2018
This introductory biomimicry course has been especially created for Field Guides. How can field guides interpret the natural world through the lens of biomimicry?
Biomimicry is the practice of learning FROM nature, in order to innovate, and in particular to design more sustainable products, processes and systems.
- Solar cells that emulate photosynthesis
- Pumps that mimic natural water flows
- A materials revolution that mimic the recipes of spider webs, bones, teeth, horns and insect exoskeletons
- Regenerative agriculture practices that mimic grasslands and forests
- Light-weighting and 3D printing based on nature's genius structures
- Businesses that function like superorganisms
- Economies that function like circular ecosystems, and
- Cities that provide ecosystem services.
There is so much to learn from the natural world. Find out how far this field has come since it emerged as a formal profession only a decade ago. We have previously run field-guide biomimicry training for guides at Singita Sabi Sands, Tswalu, as well as within EcoTraining.
Field Guides are in the perfect position to share the genius and wisdom of the natural world - particularly through the lens of biomimicry. How can you add the fascinating field of biomimicry to your field guiding? This course introduces you to the why, what and how of biomimicry, and provides you with tools and resources to continue to develop your biomimicry interpretation skills. You can also deepen your learning to become a Biomimicry Practitioner yourself. It all starts with this introductory workshop.
This one-day course will be hosted at the Science Leadership Initiative Campus in Skukuza village, Kruger National Park.
- Date: Saturday 13 October 2018
- Time: 8.00am - 5pm
- Cost: R945pp, includes tea/coffee, lunches, tuition, workbooks, game drive & walk. Accommodation is available at the venue for those who require it at an additional R150pp per night. Discounted rates are available for 2 or more guides from one organisation.
- Facilitator: Claire Janisch, Biomimicry Professional
- Register: Email info[a]biomimicrysa.co.za or call 076 578 6574 for enquires or to register before 30 August 2018
- Learn the Why, How and What of Biomimicry and how this relates to field guiding
- Explore relevant biomimicry case studies in depth
- Learn and practice the Biology to Design and Challenge to Biology biomimicry methodologies.
- Learn how to interpret the natural world through the lens of biomimicry
- Explore specific South African biomimicry examples to share in the field
- Apply what you learn through activities
- Receive expert guidance from a Biomimicry Professional
- Receive an overview of resources available to field guides
- Explore opportunities for further learning
If you would like more in-depth training in biomimicry, then please ask us about our special Field Guide rate for the 5-day Biomimicry Immersion Workshop at the same venue from 8-12 October.